St. Andrew's Church
Wanborough, Wiltshire.

Photo crop (ripped edge B)

Last Updated

28 August 2016

About Wanborough

The Parish of Wanborough is in the United Benefice of Lyddington, Wanborough, Bishopstone and Hinton Parva, in the Diocese of Bristol. It is in the Swindon Branch which is part of the Gloucester & Bristol Diocesan Association of Church Bell Ringers.

Wanborough is situated in mainly rural surroundings in the Borough of Swindon in North-east Wiltshire. It is located 3.5 miles from Swindon town-centre and is 1.8 miles from junction 15 of the M4.

The village is split into Lower Wanborough and Upper Wanborough. Whilst Upper and Lower Wanborough can be said to lie in open countryside, modern new housing has been built on the sloping land between Upper and Lower Wanborough which has begun to physically link the two historic settlements.

There has been a church at Wanborough since no later than the 11th century and it sits on an elevated piece of land at Upper Wanborough. In 1091 it was granted by Saint Osmund to the Chapter of Salisbury. By the end of the 14th century, the advowson of Wanborough belonged to Amesbury Priory. In 1541, following the Dissolution of the Monasteries, the rectory and advowson of the parish were granted to the Dean and Chapter of Winchester. In 1908 the rights of advowson were transferred to the Lord Chancellor.

In the 14th century, the nave was rebuilt, along with the tower and spire above the crossing. A tower was added to the west in the 15th century; its construction began in 1435. A chancel and porch to the north were also added in the 15th century. Restoration work took place in 1887. When whitewash and plaster were removed from the inside walls, wall-paintings dating from the 15th century were revealed.

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.


Get Flash Player